Tuesday, February 12, 2013

More soup!


More cold days = more soup!  Have I mentioned before that I love soup?  Yes?  Well, I'll say it again.  I love soup!  So comforting, and so quick and easy to make.  This is a recipe that I found online, and for once I barely changed a thing.  It came out great!  It is from Sarah Moulton, who I sometimes like, sometimes not, but this one was good.  And, I got my dad to eat kale.  He generally doesn't like a lot of green stuff, and if it's on a plate as a side, he'll eat some and leave the rest.  In the soup, he doesn't really have a choice! 

Spanish Style White Bean, Kale, and Chorizo Soup


1/2 pound dried white beans, such as Great Northern, rinsed and picked over
8 1/2 cups chicken stock, (preferably homemade)
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt
saffron threads
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 Spanish chorizo sausages, about 3/4 pound, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 small bunch kale, about 3/4 pound, tough stems removed, washed well, and coarsely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Sherry vinegar, to taste (I used about a tablespoon)


**She does not mention soaking the beans, which I found odd.  I cooked them in a pressure cooker, so I didn't have to soak, but I imagine that if you didn't, you would need to soak for 8 hours**  Place the beans in a large pot or soup kettle. Pour in 8 cups of the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Cook, partially covered, stirring often and adjusting the heat to keep it at a slow steady simmer, until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

Soak the saffron in the remaining 1/2 cup chicken (hot) stock.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Add the onion; reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the red pepper and the paprika. Cook for 2 minutes longer, then transfer the contents of the skillet to the bean pot. Stir in the saffron with the soaking liquid, the chorizo, and the kale. Bring back to a simmer and cook just until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the vinegar, and serve hot in warmed soup bowls.




No comments:

Post a Comment