Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Year, New Efforts

Here I am, once again in beautiful Potomac, MD.  This time, I'll be spending almost 2 solid months here.  My mission, which I have chosen to accept, is to help my parents prepare their house for moving and selling.  This will involve room-by-room raiding, and donating or selling many things.  It will also mean that I have time to cook every day, and hopefully update this blog every day.  We'll see how that goes.  Previous attempts have failed, but I have fresh energy this time!

I arrived last night, and was greeted by my mom's empanadas.  Always a nice welcome after airplane food!  Although I was able to travel in the first class cabin (thanks, Dad, for the miles!), and I was fed (sorry folks in the back), the food was mediocre, and I arrived quite hungry.

Tonight was my first night to cook, and since I have a bit of a sore throat and am a bit tired, I figured something simple was called for.  I went with my go-to comfort food, Risotto.  I decided to make it with peas, as we always have those in the freezer, and my dad contributed the idea of adding some sliced San Danielle prosciutto, since we had some on hand.

Ingredients: 
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp butter, divided
1 cup chopped onion (1 small, or 1/2 large onion)
1 cup Carnaroli or Arborio rice (I always use 1/3 cup per person, and since there were 3 of us...)
1/2 cup dry white wine
3-4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup peas
3-4 slices prosciutto
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Regiano Cheese

  • Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy pot.
  • Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes 
  • Add the rice and stir to coat.  Continue stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
  • Add the wine and cook till it is absorbed.
  • Begin adding the stock, about 1/2 to 1/4 at a time, stirring frequently.  When it begins to be absorbed, add more stock, never allowing it to get too dry.  Keep rice at a low-medium simmer.
  • After rice has been cooking for about 15 minutes, add the peas and prosciutto.
  • Continue to cook until al dente, about 5 more minutes for Arborio, a bit longer (up to 30 minutes total) for Carnaroli.
  • When the rice has become creamy, and tastes done, remove from heat and add the cheese and the remaining butter.
  • Serve immediately with grated cheese to pass at the table.

You can make Arancini or Risotto cakes in the unlikely event that you have leftover rice. Recipes to follow!


1 comment:

  1. i have made this risotto! and i was taught by you! in my kitchen! :) so glad you're going to try blogging again... hope everything goes smoothly in MD... i'll wave when you flyover again. :) xox!

    ReplyDelete