Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tortilla Soup



For the last two weeks, I was fighting off a cold, and yesterday I lost the battle. So when I got home from work today, I whipped up a batch of spicy tortilla soup. Felt like I needed more than a traditional chicken soup. Here's what I did.


2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 can stewed tomatoes (check labels - some have high fructose corn syrup)
6 chicken thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper
8 cups chicken stock or water, or combination of both
Salt
1 avocado
tortilla chips
Mexican crema



  • saute onions, carrot, celery, and garlic in olive oil in a heavy soup pot till soft, about 8 minutes.  
  • add chipotle and ancho chili powders, and tomato paste and cook about a minute.
  • add zucchini, corn, tomatoes, chicken, and stock.  season with salt
  • bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for about 45 minutes.
  • remove chicken thighs, shred meat, and return to pot
  • ladle into bowls and garnish with tortilla chips, avocado, and Mexican crema.

2 comments:

  1. Tortilla soup is one of my all time favorites,,will give this one a try,,,keep on typing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never heard of this Tortilla soup! the name itself is new to me..needs to try this on this Sunday. thanks for sharing and hope you keep updating with new stuff..i have bookmarked

    Executive Chef Job description

    ReplyDelete