Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pesto with no photo

After being home for a week, I finally started cooking again. I made pesto one night, but I didn't take a photo or write about it because I figured it was too simple.... I have now been told otherwise, so I'll post the recipe and my tips here. Next time I make it, I promise to take a photo!

Basil Pesto

Prep time: 10 minutes. Serves about 4
  • 1 large bunch basil, stems removed
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano

Put basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor. Blend till combined, then add olive oil through feed tube until desired consistency is reached. Stop once and scrape down sides if needed. Put in a bowl and stir in cheese. Serve over pasta of choice (I like pesto with thin spaghetti).

If you have leftovers, put them in an icecube tray and freeze. Pop the frozen cubes out and put in a plastic freezer bag. They will last in the freezer for about 6 months. To thaw, just put in a small bowl for about 10-15 minutes, or if needed faster, microwave for 5 seconds. Because of the olive oil, these will defrost very quickly. I always have these pesto cubes on hand in my freezer to use for a quick dinner, or as a spread on sandwiches, or for my "pesto and olive torta" appetizer (see my next blog!).

No comments:

Post a Comment