Sunday, August 1, 2010

Latin American Ingredients



I recently "discovered" a great store in the Mission that carries all sorts of imported Latin American products.  It was all I could do not to buy everything there!  They have all sorts of packaged foods, fresh meats, and vegetables.  I'll definitely be going back there to check out more stuff.  The store is called Evergreen Market.
Pictured are two of my purchases.  The one on the left is Aji Amarillo, which is a Peruvian Yellow Pepper (in paste form).   This is used in many Peruvian dishes, including my last recipe, Aji de Gallina.  So happy to find it, as I've been searching for the paste form for quite a while.  Should have known to look in a small Mission store all along!  
On the right is Dulce de Leche, from Argentina.  Takes me right back to my childhood.  This has recently become a little more known here, as it is now a Haagen Dazs flavor, but this is the real thing!  I will try to find a good recipe for Alfajores, the Argentine cookies that my grandmother used to make.  An Alfajor is a sandwich cookie consisting of two shortbread cookies with Dulce de Leche in the middle, and the whole thing is covered in powdered sugar.  Yum!
They also have Empanada shells - I will be sure to make those soon (they're in my freezer for now) and will post the results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment