Sunday, January 27, 2013

Potato and Rice Soup

As the cold continues, I'm in the mood for more soup. Also in the mood for something super easy after the 6 hour cassoulet! This is a soup that my grandmother used to make in Italy. My mom gave me the recipe years and years ago, while I was still in college. She claims that she never used tomato paste, and that there's parsley in it, but that's not what I have written down. Anyway, this fast, simple, but delicious soup is also very filling, and can be completely vegetarian, even vegan if you want!

Potato and Rice Soup

Olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan)
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup tomato paste
4 potatoes, diced
6 cups stock
6 tablespoons rice
Garlic cooking
Potatoes added
simmering away

  • Heat olive oil.  Add garlic and cook till just fragrant, taking care not to burn it.  Add potatoes and tomato paste and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add stock and cook at a high simmer for 20 minutes.  Add rice and cook for 20 more minutes, stirring occasionally.  Smash about half of the potatoes and rice with a fork or a potato masher.  Serve with some grated parmigiano reggiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment